Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Splicing Electrical Wire

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is the splicing of electrical wire permitted
    by Canadian code?

    I am doing some renovations and want to move
    a receptacle about 4 feet. The existing wire
    will not allow this, so I have to splice on
    some additional wire.

    Can I simply make this splice connection
    inside an electrical box and then cover
    this electrical box with dryall (I don't
    want access to the box).

    Comments... suggestions... ?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was simply adding oak cabinets around the perimeter of a room to make a library.

    The bottom 24" portion of these cabinets are not accessible.

    All receptactles except one worked out OK.

    The one problem receptacle falls right behind the intersection of two cabinet modules and cannot be pulled forward to the oak face (this is why it has to be spliced and moved, and why I can't even add a blank over the junction box).

    No... I wasn't planning on getting a permit; I didn't think one was required.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay I threw that that permit thing in the reply as i felt that you had little knowledge of the CEC. maybe the cabinet could be designed with a sliding drawer that could be removed in that junction location. It would give you some storage. Hidden junctions can be a nightmare both for a future owner and electricians.seeing that you have to extend the circuit could you relocate the junction on the wall in an adjoining room. but of coarse if this is an outside wall that would be an issue. Many times cabinet makers never take into consideration about existing outlets. This may discourage the buyer from buying them.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks electricguy for your replies!

    You are correct that I have little (possibly next to none) knowledge of the CEC!

    The cabinets are already fabricated and delivered, so short of shipping the two back and authorizing a major rework (which I'm sure I'd have to pay a hefty sum for), I was hoping I had another option.

    Is this accesibility issue, one of safety or one of convienience?

    No other options electrically?

    I am not sure what you mean by:
    "relocate the junction on the wall in an adjoining room"

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 12, 2004 02:29 PM: Message edited by: mms ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    turn the existing box around the face the wall in a adjoining room. you may have to use a rework box . It sounds like you have the wall opened in the library to be able to able to route a wire to the new outlet location anyhow so you only have to cut in the junction box in the drywall in the adjoining room and maybe even install a receptacle in it for another outlet in that room.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, I see what you mean.

    As luck would have it the coresponding location in the adjoining room is right in the middle of a shower, so that won't work.

    Also, the drywall in my library is not off.

    All I had to do with the other receptacles was remove the coverplate and the receptacle, pull the wire forward about 12" and add a new electrical box in the face of the oak cabinet and re-connect the receptacle in the new box (I cut the oak myself with a jigsaw and did this electrical re-connection myself).

  7. #7
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    do you really need this recepacle and does the circuit continue on to another outlet?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes I need/want this receptacle.

    I'm not sure if it continues on to another receptacle (I think it does; I remember a lot of
    wires in that particular box).

    Could I hire an electrician to make some sort of permanent connection (soldered perhaps)
    that would not require a junction box?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member electricguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2003
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sorry I am in between doing paper work and laundry thats why they delay in my posts.I am not sure but if the cabinet section was removable maybe you could just cover off the junction but now you would also have to try and recess the new receptacle or use a wire mold product to surface mount the new receptacle. This wire channel and outlet boxes can be purchased at a revy /Rona store or one of the big orange box stores.Also sometimes it can take a couple of days for other posters to post answers at forums and hopefully some else can come with an idea for you also. I will try to keep on trying to help you with some more Ideas [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 12, 2004 03:55 PM: Message edited by: electricguy ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member mms's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2004
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You have been a big help already! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Thanks!!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 12, 2004 04:07 PM: Message edited by: mms ]</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •